5 Oct 2014 Disembarking in Barcelona

Up early after packing our bags last night. The last show was Nik Page, a singer from England. He wasn’t too bad.

Breakfast was packed with people. We had to share a table for the first time. The other occupants weren’t keen and didn’t speak English.

Off to wait in the Wheelhouse Bar (unfortunately it wasn’t open!) with the first lot of people of making their own arrangements. It is raining in Barcelona and they closed one gangway due to safety reasons. After about half an hour we were on our way. Down one flight of stairs and across the gangway. Walked straight out of the port, collected our bags and caught a taxi to our hotel, which is not far away. No customs, no x-ray scanning! Amazing.

We got to the hotel in about 5 minutes then realised we didn’t have an adaptor for all our electrical gadgets! After spending an hour in reception waiting for our room to be ready we went for a walk in amazing Barcelona. Down to the docks along La Rambla, which is a massive street with markets in the middle. Peter found an Irish pub with the rugby on so he stayed there and I kept walking. The streets are so long I didn’t even get to the end of the one the pub was in.
Back to find somewhere for lunch. Colon Cerveseria was in a lovely courtyard, one of many. I had a tuna roll and coffee.

We looked at the options of what to do in Barcelona and decided on a bike ride at 4.30pm, the tourist bus tomorrow, rest day and trip to the Pyrenees on Wednesday. To kill time we walked around a bit more. Lucky there are toilets in Starbucks and Hungry Jacks! We stopped at another park and found there were Roman ruins there (La via Sepulcral Romana). It was free to get in as it was the first Sunday in the month.

I took the Barcelona Ciclo Tour as Peter was too tired by 4.30pm. It went for 3.5 hours and we wound around 15kms in all the bike lanes and backstreets. Barcelona has some amazing architecture. Past the works of Gaudi, the Gothic Quarter, Old Harbour, park Ciutadella, beaches, markets and restaurants. After a stop at the beach for a wine we get back to the starting point where Peter is waiting for me.

Dinner is at the Hard Rock Cafe not far away. Of course we have to wait but when we get in our table is on the stage and a band sets up! Nachos and cob salad for me. Back to the hotel for a well-earned rest.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: